News Burst 2 June 2020
- The widespread demonstrations and unrest that have mushroomed across the United States for the past few days will enable the far-left wing of the Democratic Party to gain a firmer foothold, but the uproar will unlikely improve Democratic candidate Joe Biden’s chances in the November presidential election, Political Science and International Relations Professor Andrei Korobkov, of the Middle Tennessee State University told TASS in an interview on Sunday. A number of states have seen several days of upheaval following the death of George Floyd, an African-American, in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In many cities, the demonstrations descended into mass rioting, looting and vandalism, with dozens of police injured and hundreds of demonstrators detained. “All this will reinforce far-left groups inside the Democratic Party and the left wing of the political spectrum in general,” Korobkov said. These political forces, he stressed, have used the protests from the outset for attacks against the Trump administration. In his opinion, the Democrats are particularly upset that the novel coronavirus pandemic in the US has failed to bring about the political effect they had hoped for. “There has been no catastrophic slump in Trump’s popularity rating,” Korobkov noted. At the same time, he stressed, the unrest and protests, while strengthening the Democrats’ left wing, will harm the party’s positions in the long term. “This is so because the party’s center always feels scared when outbreaks of violence occur and begin to pose a real threat to it,” Korobkov said. This means that in the November elections Biden will look weaker, and Trump somewhat stronger.
- Mysterious pallets of bricks have been filmed throughout major riot hotspots across the country, in what appears to be more evidence that organized groups are using the George Floyd protests to incite chaos and terrorism throughout the US.
- The fuel spill as a result of the accident on the territory of the Combined Heat and Power Plant No. 3 (CHPP-3) in Norilsk, Russian Siberia, is likely to reach Lake Pyasino located about 20 km away from the city, press service of WWF Russia told TASS on Monday. The loss of containment of the diesel fuel tank occurred on the territory of CHPP-3 in Norilsk on May 29. A motor vehicle entered the fuel spill, causing the fire outbreak. About 20,000 tonnes of fuel were spilled in total, with about 100 tonnes already gathered, as reported by the plant owner, the Norilsk-Taimyr Energy Company. The inter-municipal level emergency was introduced. “There are about 12 kilometers from the leaking tank to the Ambarnaya River and fuel already penetrated the river by morning of May 31. There are about 20 kilometers from that point to Pyasino, so we assume that the pollution has already reached the lake today, on June 1,” the press service said, citing Alexei Knizhnikov, the Business Environmental Responsibility Team Leader of WWF Russia.
- Triumph Motorcycles, based in Hinckley, Leicestershire, which employs 2,500 people worldwide, said 240 of those redundancies would in the UK. It said sales in some countries have fallen up to 65% in the last three months. Chief Executive Nick Bloor said the crisis has caused “significant damage” to the global motorcycle market. The company said sales in the 500cc plus motorcycle segment in France, Italy, Germany, USA and UK have fallen between 40% and 65% during the peak season. Triumph, which was established in 1902, produces about 60,000 bikes every year.
- “Antiracist” protesters looted downtown Montreal yesterday. Meanwhile 4 security agents and 3 mounted police intervened to prevent a girl from using the swings in the still not officially reopened playground in a Westmount park.
- President Trump announced from the White House Rose Garden Monday evening that he planned to mobilize “all available federal resources, civilian and military” to put an end to violent protests across the country, while blaming the outbursts on “professional anarchists, looters, criminals, antifa” whom he described as “domestic terrorists” bringing widespread harm to the nation. As expected following remarks from Press Sec McEnany earlier, President Trump insisted during a brief speech that he would send in military personnel to quell violence and looting if governors failed to act. He also insisted that his administration was committed to justice for Floyd and his family, and that Trump’s administration is “an ally” of peaceful protesters. “I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers,” Trump said Monday at the White House, clearly seeking to reassure terrified business owners and members of the community in areas hard-hit by the coronavirus and the riots that he would uphold his duty to maintain order. Trump insisted his heavy handed response had nothing to do with suppressing the right to peacefully protest. “We cannot allow an ‘angry mob” drown out peaceful protesters,” Trump said, describing the looting and attacks on journalists and bystanders as “acts of domestic terrorism”. In an implicit reference to New York, Trump said he would send in federal troops if cities failed to deal with any violent uprisings. “If cities refuse…I will deploy the united states military and quickly solve the problem for them,” Trump said. “We are ending the riots and lawlessness, that has spread throughout our country. We will end it now,” Trump said. He finished his remarks just before a 7pmET curfew took effect in the capital city.
- Recent protests and unrest in the United States, treatment of protesters by U.S. law enforcement in comparison with Iran, and the approach of the highly censored Iranian media to the issue have become hot topics in Persian-language social media in the past few days. Regime supporters have been attacking dissidents who they say are always ranting about regime suppression but are now “mum” about what is happening in the United States. The Iranian state-run television has been devoting a lot of attention to the protests while the Foreign Ministry Spokesman Seyed Abbas Mousavi, has urged the U.S. government “to stop the violence” and to “listen to the voice of protesters”. Iran state-run TV reporters are even interviewing protesters in front of the White House. Dissidents are never interviewed during similar incidents in Iran. When it comes to the recent protests in the United States, those who oppose the Iranian regime are divided, too. Some Iranian dissidents point out that the way the two governments deal with protests and unrest is fundamentally different. The Islamic Republic has a long record of brutality against protesters, shooting at defenseless people, killing them in the hundreds and putting others behind bars for nothing more than holding up placards or chanting, they say and maintain that protesters in the United States are not shot in the head as they are in Iran.
Sunspot number: 0
Current Stretch: 30 days
2020 total: 121 days (79%)
2019 total: 281 days (77%)
Newly formed Tropical Depression Three is moving WNW at 6 kt. Maximum sustained winds 25 kt gusts 35 kt. It will strengthen to a tropical storm near Tue afternoon. Tropical Storm Three will change little in intensity as it moves to NW on Fri afternoon then strengthen slightly as it tracks northward through Sat. Video Player
Media error: Format(s) not supported or source(s) not foundDownload File: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1267571857525481472/pu/vid/558×566/DUptK1BhWJVjOR18.mp4?_=100:0000:00
The Depression over Eastcentral Arabian Sea moved northwards with a speed of 03 kt during past 6 hours It is very likely to intensify into a Deep Depression during next 12 hours and intensify further into a Cyclonic Storm over Eastcentral Arabian Sea during subsequent 12 hours. It is very likely to move nearly northwards initially till 02nd June Noon and then recurve north-northeastwards and cross north Maharashtra and south Gujarat coasts between during the afternoon of 03rd June. Video Player
Media error: Format(s) not supported or source(s) not foundDownload File: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1267571402086940683/pu/vid/676×634/kB2UuovHn5twv81g.mp4?_=200:0000:00
Strongest EQ in Europe M4.7 Azores Islands
Strongest EQ in North America M3.6 Nevada & Idaho
Strongest EQ on the Planet M5.8 Tonga
Deepest EQ M4.0 205 km Japan News Burst 2 June 2020