News Burst 27 February 2020
- It is time for companies to resume operations, President Xi Jinping said.
- Nothing to see here… Just a cylindrical ‘Mini-Moon’ temporarily orbiting Earth. Astronomers from the Catalina Sky Survey say they have detected a rare mini-moon around Earth. Sadly, we shouldn’t get too attached to our new natural satellite, as the rock—if that’s indeed what it is—will only hang around for a few months.
- From February 1, 2020, a separate terminal has been allocated and prepared under the supervision of Rospotrebnadzor at the Sheremetyevo Airport, in Moscow, Russia, the only airport in the country currently accepting flights from China. Laboratory examination has been set up for all people arriving from China, as well as surveying and transfer under medical supervision at the place of residence. As of February 23, 2020, 10,825 people are still being monitored
- Weinstein Does Not Harm Himself. Officials at Rikers Island, where Harvey Weinstein is currently being detained, are taking security measures to ensure that the former Hollywood producer does not harm himself, according to a Wednesday statement from Joe Russo, president of the Deputy Wardens Association.
- Russian scientists have developed five vaccine prototypes against the novel coronavirus but they are still at the initial stage of research.
- Hong Kong’s flagship airline Cathay Pacific warned on Wednesday that its business conditions remained “acute”, with 25,000 employees opting to take unpaid leave. Augustus Tang Kin-wing, CEO of the airline, said “many” frontline employees and those working at the head office, overseas and subsidiary units had signed up for the scheme, responding to the company’s appeal to help conserve cash and protect the business. People familiar with the matter said the take-up accounted for about 75 per cent of the airline’s 33,300 employees. However, not as many pilots and cabin crew had volunteered.
- MSM pushing hard to spread fear of pandemic.
- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett says multiple people have been killed in a shooting on the Molson Coors Brewing Co. campus.
- The Hong Kong government on Wednesday announced it would give its adult permanent residents $1,280 each as a financial relief measure amid the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. Minors, migrant workers and new immigrants are excluded from the handout.
- A new study reveals that there are similarities between the brain activity of honey bees and humans, which means that bees could eventually be used to study various brain functions. The researchers also fed the bees a solution of water and the sugar sucrose using a pipette while they were stimulated with odors. The researchers found that, similarly to humans, bees associate odors with food.
- Italy was the first European Union country to ignore the World Health Organisation’s advice not to ban flights to and from China because of the coronavirus outbreak. “The block on flights was not such a wise decision because at the end of the day the Italian authorities lost the ability to track the people coming back from China,” said Marco Wong, a local councillor in the Tuscan town of Prato. “Those who wanted to enter Italy at all costs would simply change the plane ticket and enter from another country,” Wong said.
- The four Nepalese Sherpas attempting to summit Mount Everest in winter in 5 days are 1 day late, it’s snowing.
- Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron. […] Is there no other way the world may live? – Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953.
Sunspot number: 0
Current Stretch: 24 days
2020 total: 40 days (70%)
- Severe Tropical Cyclone Ferdinand (Category 3) – N of W Australia’s coast – 80/110 kts↓ – 960 hPa↑ Moving W 1 kts – Weakening
Strongest EQ in Europe M4.4 Iceland
Strongest EQ in North America M3.7 California
Strongest EQ on the Planet M5.9 Saumlaki, Indonesia
Deepest EQ M4.4.6 601 km FijiNews Burst 27 February 2020